If you are looking to download RC book copy for your vehicle, this post will give you a step by step process on how to download your RC online. Here, we will cover all the ways in detail to download RC book online using Digilocker as well as the mParivahan app. We will also cover ways to apply for a duplicate RC online.
Your Vehicle Registration Certificate which is also called RC book. It is one of the many Government Issued documents which you can access and download online.
How to download RC book copy online?
You can download the RC book online from DigiLocker website (Login using your Aadhar number) by entering your vehicle registration details-Vehicle Registration No. and Chassis No. to fetch the pdf of RC copy. Alternatively, you can also use mParivahan app to download a virtual RC using last 4 digits of Chassis and Engine No. of vehicle.
Let’s now talk about the two methods in detail. We will start with the process to download RC Book using Digilocker. If you want to use mParivahan app instead, click here to jump to that section.
Way 1: How to Download RC Book Online using Digilocker
For this purpose, you need to create a DigiLocker Account if you don’t have one yet. Let’s look at what you need to get your Vehicle RC book from Digilocker Account-
What you need for downloading RC Book online using Digilocker:
- Aadhar Card and Mobile Number (linked to Aadhar) – To create and login to the Digilocker Account
- Vehicle Registration No. and Complete Chassis No. (which is mentioned in your physical RC copy)
Note that the Chassis no is a 17 digit alphanumeric number. The chassis no is mentioned on your RC. It is also mentioned on insurance copy but the one mentioned on Insurance Receipt may not include all the 17 digits.
You can download your RC book online by following the steps below:
Step 1- Go to the Government DigiLocker website. Create a Digilocker Account by entering your mobile number and Aadhar Card. Authenticate yourself using the OTP sent on your registered mobile.
Step 2- Go to “Issued Documents” Tab on the Home Screen. Your Aadhar Document is already available there. Click on “Get More Issued Documents”
Step 3- You will be shown a list of Gov Departments. Select “Ministry of Road and Transport”
Step 4- In the next screen, click on the option “Registration of Vehicles”
Step 5- In the next screen, you will be asked to enter your vehicle details like your “Registration No” and “Chassis No”. The Chassis details are mentioned on the physical copy of your Vehicle Registration Certificate as well as on your vehicle.
Step 6- Click on “Get Document” and you will be shown the respective details of RC
Step 7- Now go to “Issued Documents” and you will find the RC available for download. You have options to download the RC in PDF, XML or JSON format.
Select the PDF option which is most convenient to view the file.
The best part is using these steps, you can download the RC book for any state in India i.e. Maharashtra (Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, etc), Gujarat, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh
Also, the RC book for all your vehicles i.e. scooter, bike, cars, etc. can be fetched and downloaded by following the above simple steps.
The downloaded copy of Vehicle’s RC is digitally signed by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. RC document is fetched in real-time from the National Register database.
It also carries a timestamp and is a legally acceptable document under the provisions of the Indian IT Act 2000.
The RC document once fetched, is available under the “Issued Documents” tab for your future reference.
DigiLocker is one of the key initiatives by the Government of India under the Digital India vision. It is aimed at eliminating the usage of physical documents.
As an Indian Citizen, once you sign up for a Digilocker account you get online storage of 1GB. This facility can be used for the storage of documents linked to your Adhaar (UIDAI) number.
Government organizations registered with the Digital Locker can also push electronic copies of documents and certificates viz. Driving License, Voter ID, Academic Certificates directly into the citizen’s locker account. You can also upload the scanned copies of your original documents in their Digilocker account.
Also, if you are looking to apply for duplicate physical RC copy, click here to jump to that section.
Contents of RC Book
The RC contains some very important details about your vehicle like
- Registration No.
- Chassis No
- Engine No.
- Vehicle Details like CU Capacity, Mfg date, Vehicle Weight, Seating Capacity, Fuel
The pdf download of RC which you download from DigiLocker also has a QR code that can be used to verify the authenticity of the document.
More About Getting RC on Digilocker App
Digilocker Facility is also available as a mobile app on Google Playstore and Apple Appstore. The app has mixed reviews.
The Government has also been trying to promote the DIgiLocker initiative by providing for its legal acceptance. So legally show your RC on DigiLocker App on your mobile to the traffic Police.
Way 2: How to Download RC Book Online using mParivahan App
Another app called mParivahan is also developed by the Government of India which offers the facility to download RC book and Driving License (DL). This app is also very simple to use and can be used for any vehicle no. details search.
It is an official app for all India RTO vehicle registration number search.
What you need for downloading RC Book online using mParivahan:
- Registered Mobile Number to sign up on mParivahan app
- Last 4 digits of Vehicle Chassis No. and Engine No. (this is mentioned in your physical RC copy and also on your Insurance copy)
To download RC book using mParivahan app, Follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Download the mParivahan app from the Google Playstore
- Step 2: Go to the three dotted lines on the home screen of app
- Step 3 & 4: You will see a list of options. Click on “Sign In” at the top and a new page will open asking for mobile number. If you are using the app for the first time, click on “Sign Up” and complete the process (see image below)
- Step 5: You will also need to accept the terms and conditions after reading and understanding it
- Step 6: In the next screen, you will be asked to enter OTP you get on the registered mobile number through SMS
- Step 7: Now once you have signed in, go to the home page three dotted lines and click on “My RC”
- Step 8: Click on “Create Virtual RC” on next screen
- Step 9: Enter your vehicle number in the search bar without any space for eg. you need to enter your vehicle number in the normal format say DL00AB1234
- Step 10: You need to verify your vehicle by entering the last 4 digits of Vehicle Chassis No. and last 4 digits of Engine no. This information you should be able to find in the original RC copy and even
You will now be able to see the RC details which are saved in your dashboard and can be used to show to the Traffic authorities any time,
mParivahan provides a ton of useful information about your vehicle like –
– Owner Name
– Registration date
– Registering Authority
– Make Model
– Fuel Type
– Vehicle Age
– Vehicle class
– Insurance Validity
– Fitness Validity
How to apply for Duplicate RC Book online
While it is always good to have a soft copy of your RC Book with Digilocker or mParivhan app, you can also apply for duplicate copy of physical RC.
You need to make the application in Form 26 online to apply for apply for duplicate RC at Parivahan Website. You will be booking an appointment with the concerned RC authority as a part of this application process.
To submit this application, you need to have the following documents
- Pan Card (or Form 60 if you don’t have a PAN)
- Aadhar Card (or Form 21 if you don’t have Aadhar)
Note that Aadhar Card address should be same as address mentioned in RC
- Chassis Pencil Print
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate
- Insurance Copy of Vehicle
- Police FIR report offline or online –
You can even file even file FIR online. This is applicable if your original RC was misplaced or lost (not applicable for damaged or spoiled cases)
FIR no, date, details need to mentioned in Form 26
- Affidavit on Stamp Paper (Rs.10)
- RC copy (optional document-if you have duplicate RC copy from Digilocker or mParivahan)
- Fees Receipt (Issue of 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler- INR 150, HMV Trucks Buses etc- INR 300)
- Duplicate RC Application Form 26 Duly Filled in PDF
Legal Validity of RC Book downloaded
It makes sense if you have the DigiLocker App on your mobile to quickly download the necessary documents in digital form.
As per some reports, for the electronic documents to be treated legally acceptable under the Information Technology Act, 2000, it is necessary that they are available on DigiLocker or mParivahan app carried by the user.
Showing a photo of your driving license (DL) or registration certificate (RC) on your mobile phone to the traffic police or enforcing authority will not do. You need to show it with the DigiLocker or mParivahan app, as per the revised rules of Road Ministry.
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has also issued an advisory for acceptance of Driving Licence, Registration Certificate or other documents in ‘electronic form’ presented through DigiLocker or mParivahan platform as valid under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988. The traffic police is required to treat them at par with the certificates issued by the transport authorities.
The ministry had amended the Central Motor Vehicles Rules in November 2018 to allow documents such as RC, insurance, driving license (DL), PUC and others to be accepted in electronic form.
The fine for not carrying a valid registration certificate can go up to Rs. 2000 under the new laws. So it makes sense to have the DigiLocker App for ready availability of these documents.
Other documents you can download from DigiLocker
- Driving License
- Vehicle Insurance Certificate
- Vehicle Tax receipt
You can even upload documents in DigiLocker.
I am a blogger and on this website, I share helpful information on products and services I personally use.