If you use Cash App and looking for ways how to add physical Cash to Cash App, you are on the right post. Cash App has been coming up with convenient ways to load physical cash to your Cash App balance. In this post, we will be covering all the possible ways with all the steps involved to deposit physical cash to Cash App.
It can be a struggle to add physical cash to your Cash App balance. Cash App does not allow you to add cash at an ATM, like most banks.
It also does not have a direct feature to load money by swiping a Cash App card at a retail store like Walmart, Walgreens, etc. which is offered by many online banks including Chime.
But let’s look at all the possible ways to load physical cash. In fact, we will talk about three ways in which you can add physical Cash to your Cash App balance. You will also get a bonus way if you need more.
The first and most convenient one is by depositing physical cash at a retail store by using Cash App Paper Money Deposit Feature using the barcode on your Cash App. The second one is where you could walk up to a retail store, buy a Prepaid GreenDot MoneyPak Card and use that to transfer cash to the Cash App Card. The third one is by taking the help of a friend or family member who is using the Cash App.
Let’s look at the details of all the ways including the fees, time to credit, and steps involved.
How to Add Physical Cash to Cash App
You can add physical cash to Cash App in any of the three ways:
- Using Cash App Paper Money Deposit Feature
- Using Prepaid Card reload
- Requesting Friend to transfer money to you in exchange of cash
Add Physical Cash using Paper Money Deposit Feature on Cash App
The easiest option which has been introduced recently in 2022 is depositing cash by using Paper Money Deposit Feature in Cash App.
Note that this feature may not be available to all users yet as it is being rolled out in phases.
This feature allows you to add physical cash by walking in at any retail stores like Walmart, Walgreens, Dollar General, etc. by showing a barcode in your Cash App at the register. The cashier will scan this barcode to deposit cash which works almost instantly. There is a small fee involved usually $1.
You can check our detailed guide on how to deposit paper money on Cash App. A short summary is produced below:
Steps to use Paper Money Deposit
- Open Cash App, tap on the bank icon, and scroll down to the “Paper Money” option under ways to add money
- It shows you the map where you can find retail store locations near you where you can deposit cash
- Walk into the retail store of your choice. At the counter, navigate to the “Paper Money” option on your Cash App and tap on “Show Barcode” to the cashier. Hand over the cash along with the fess to complete the deposit.
- The cashier will scan the barcode and you should get a notification confirming the cash deposit (usually within a minute)
Add Physical Cash Using Prepaid Card Reload
First off, this is a more tedious and costly option but can be exercised if you don’t have access to the Paper Money Deposit option on Cash App.
So here you need to buy a prepaid card like Green Dot Money Pak Card which you can get at 70000+ retail stores like Walmart, Walgreens, etc.
You then load cash for the desired amount ($20 to $500) to these cards by asking the cashier at the register. Buying this card and loading involves a flat fee of $5.95. Register the card online at moneypak.com and then transfer money by adding the Cash App card details to your profile
- Go to the retail store and pick a GreenDot MoneyPak Card (which comes in a green pack)
- At the counter, provide the GreenDot MoneyPack card package and ask the cashier to load the desired money onto the card. Hand over the cash and flat fees of $5.95 for the card reload. Preserve the package and the receipt as this is needed until you have used up the funds.
- Once the money is loaded, scratch off the back of the GreenDot Money Pack card package to get a code to register online.
- As one time process, you will have to create your account on MoneyPak.com online by following the instructions. Then you need to add or link the Cash App card to this MoneyPak account online and transfer the money to the Cash App card from Money
Yes, it is a long process and not exactly convenient or cheap. But it does the job if you don’t have any other option.
This method can also work to load other eligible cards including bank debit cards. You can check at MoneyPak online if the target card is eligible to be reloaded from moneypak.com.
Add Physical Cash to Cash App by requesting money from a friend in exchange for cash
If you have a friend or family member who has a Cash App account with the required funds, you can save yourself all the trouble. You can request money from your friend over Cash App and hand over the cash to them if it works. This again is an instant option.
You can also use Cash App to request money. To do so:
- Tap the $ for the Cash App main screen
- Input the amount of cash you want to send or receive
- Tap Request and search for a $Cashtag, Phone number, or email address of your friend or family member
- Add a note (if you want)
- Tap Request to complete the transaction
When you receive a Cash App payment, it will be available instantly in your balance.
Other Ways to Add Physical Cash to Cash App Card
Now, if any of the 3 ways covered above don’t work for you, here are a few bonus tips. These are indirect ways that do require jumping over hoops if you use other services.
Add Cash to Chime or other online banks which accept Cash Deposit and then transfer to Cash App Card
Another way you can explore works is if you use an online bank like Chime. You can add physical cash to your Chime Card at Walgreens for free (follow our guide on how to put money on your Chime Card) and then transfer money from Chime to Cash App.
You can check our guide on how to link Chime to Cash App and transfer money.
You have a couple of ways to add physical cash to the Cash App. The easiest one is using the Cash App Paper Money Deposit if you have access to the feature. But you can use any of the alternate ways suggested above if that does not work for you.