Cash App is a popular payments app from Block Inc. (previously called Square Inc.) that makes it super convenient to make payments and invest money. And what makes Cash App even better is that you can use it easily with your Apple Pay wallet. In this exhaustive guide, we will cover all the details and steps on how to transfer money from Apple Pay to Cash App and vice versa, including ways on how to transfer money to Cash App instantly from Apple Pay or even transfer money without Cash Card.
If you have a new Cash App account, one thing that you should do to use Cash App with Apple Pay is to get the Cash App Card (called Cash Card), if you haven’t already applied. The Cash App Card offers a ton of benefits as it can easily be used for your daily purchases (at any place where Visa is accepted).
And you don’t even need to carry a physical Cash card. You can just link the Cash Card in your Apple Pay and pay using your iPhone. In fact, as soon as you order a Cash App Card on Cash App, it gives you access to a virtual Cash Card inside the app, which you can add to Apple Pay (even when the physical card has not been delivered to you)
Also, once you get the Cash App Card and have activated it, this enables the Direct Deposit option in Cash App, which in turn gives you access to the Account and Routing Numbers of your Cash App account. This is another method we can use to link a Cash App account with Apple Pay as a bank account.
So let’s circle back to our main question :
How to Transfer Money from Apple Pay to Cash App? You can transfer money from Apple Pay to Cash App by first linking your Cash App account or Cash Card in Apple Pay, next go to Apple Pay and transfer the money using either transfer to the linked bank (1-3 business days) or transfer to debit card option (Instant Transfer) inside of Apple Wallet.
So there are actually two ways to transfer money from Apple Pay to Cash App
- Link your Cash Card (as a debit card) in Apple Pay and then do a transfer from Apple Pay to Cash card, where you can do instant transfer (will take about 30 minutes, but will be chargeable @1.5% fees on transfer amount-minimum fee -$0.25 and maximum fee-$15)
- Link your Cash App account (as a bank account) in Apple Pay using your Cash App routing number and account number. Then do a standard transfer from Apple Pay to your Cash App account, which takes 1-3 business days to get the credit, but is completely free.
Now, let’s go through the complete step-by-step process with all the intricacies involved.
How to Transfer Money from Apple Pay to Cash App [Using Card Option]
- Link your Cash App Card to Apple Pay (using either Cash App or Apple Pay)
- Open the Wallet app, Select your Apple Cash card, and then tap the more button
- On next screen, tap “Transfer to Bank”
- Enter the amount you want to transfer to Cash App and then tap “Next”
- Tap “Instant Transfer”
- On next screen, select your “Cash App card” in the “To” field.
- Initiate the transfer with your touch id or pass code (as the case maybe)
Step 1- Link your Cash App Card to Apple Pay Wallet
The first step is to link your Cash App Card to your Apple Pay wallet. You can do this on the Cash App itself or by going to Apple Pay.
I would recommend doing it with the Cash App -refer to Option 1 below, which is quite easy and convenient.
Option 1- Adding your Cash Card to Apple Pay (using Cash App):
- Open Cash App in your mobile and log in
- Next, tap on the Cash Card tab (Card icon) on bottom menu of your Cash App home screen
- Next, tap on your Cash Card image and it will open a small pop-up menu.
- Select “Add to Apple Pay” from the list
- Follow the steps- click on next and accept terms and conditions, if you agree
In the end, it will remind you that the PIN for Cash Card is the same you have set.
You will also get a notification from Apple Pay, confirming that “Cash” is ready with Apple Pay i.e. your Cash Card is added to Apple Wallet and ready for your use. Alternatively, you can open the Apple Pay wallet and check that the green “Cash Card” is now showing in the app.
Option 2- Adding your Cash Card to Apple Pay (using Apple Pay wallet):
To add your Cash Card to Apple Pay from Apple Wallet:
- Open your Apple Wallet and tap + on top right
- Select “Debit/Credit Card”
- Next enter your Cash Card details like name, card number, expiration date etc.
- Accept the terms if you have read and agree to it
Once your Cash Card is added, you will get the standard option to set it as the default card to use for your payments with Apple Pay.
You can also open the Cash App to verify that your Cash Card has been added
Step 2- Open Wallet App on your iPhone, tap on “Apple Cash” card and click on “More” (3 dots icon)
Now, open the Apple Pay Wallet on your iPhone. It will show you the list of cards you have in the wallet including the Cash App Card on the home screen.
But you need to select the “Apple Cash Card”(Black card with the apple logo on it) since you want to move money from Apple Pay.
On the next screen, click on the circular 3 dots icon, on the top right (stands for More)
Step 3-On next screen, tap “Transfer to Bank”
On the next screen, your Apple Pay card balance is displayed and you get the option to “Add Money” or “Transfer to Bank” (right arrow icon) below it. Tap on “Transfer to Bank” (which also works for transfer to a debit card)
Step 4- Enter the amount you want to transfer
Now, type in the amount you want to transfer from Apple Pay to Cash App. Do note that the Instant Transfer fees will be deducted from such entered transfer amount and only the net amount will be actually transferred.
On entering the amount, it will show you the new “Apple Pay balance” which will be remaining after the transfer. If all is ok, go ahead and click on “Next” on the top right.
Step 5- Select “Instant Transfer” on the next screen
Now, you will get 2 options-Standard Transfer or Instant Transfer.
When moving money to Cash App Card, the option will be “Instant Transfer” which will be subject to 1.5% fees of the amount you want to transfer (subject to Minimum 0.25$ and Max15$).
These fees will be auto-deducted from the amount you chose to transfer. So if you have selected $10 for the transfer, it will deduct $0.25 fees and $9.75 will be transferred to Cash App. This will be anyways shown in the next step.
So select “Instant Transfer” and tap on “Transfer” on the top right to move to the next step.
Step 6- Select “Cash App Card” in “To” field and review the transfer details
On the next screen, it will show details of transfer:
- Showing “Apple Pay” in the “From” field,
- Showing “Card” in which the transfer is to be made in the To field. Make sure this shows your Cash Card. If it is showing another card, just tap on the right arrow and select “Cash Card” from the list
- Transfer amount with break-up of fees and amount to be transferred
Step 7- Confirm the transfer with your touch id, face id or pass code
Once you have verified all the details including the Card in To Field, Transfer Amount, and fees, in step 6 above, you can go ahead and confirm the transfer using your touch id, face id, or passcode, that you have configured in Apple Pay.
Once this is done, the transfer takes around 30 minutes to complete (can also happen instantly). The transfer will show up as completed under your Apple Pay Card transactions. You will also be able to see the credit in your Cash App activity tab
How to Transfer Money from Apple Pay to Cash App [Using Bank Option-Standard Transfer without card]
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap your Apple Cash card, and then tap the more button
- On next screen, scroll Down and tap on “Bank Account”
- Next tap on “Add Bank Account” [if you have already another bank account attached, you need to delete it to add your Cash App Account]
- Next, enter the routing number and account number associated with your Cash App Account;
- On next screen, tap on “Transfer to Bank”
- Enter the amount you want to transfer to Cash App and then tap on “Next”
- Next, tap on “Standard Transfer”
- On next screen, make sure if shows your “Cash App Account” in the “To” field.
- Initiate the transfer with your touch id or pass code (as the case maybe)
Using this way, you can transfer money from Apple Pay to Cash App, without a card.
Step 1- Open the Wallet app and tap your Apple Cash card, and then tap the more button
Launch the Apple Pay Wallet on your iPhone.
It will show you the list of cards you have in the wallet on the home screen.
Select the “Apple Cash Card”(Black card with the apple logo on it) to move money from Apple Pay.
On the next screen, tap on the ellipsis (3 dots icon), on the top right and follow Step 2.
Step 2- On next screen, scroll down and tap on “Bank Account”
You will be displayed the balance on your Apple Pay account.
Scroll down until you see the “Bank Account” option and tap on it
Step 3- Next tap on “Add Bank Account”
Apple Pay allows you to link only one bank account at a time.
So if you already have an existing bank account linked to Apple Pay, it will not show the “Add Bank” option. You need to delete this existing bank account first and then get the option to “Add Bank Account”.
Once you add your Cash Account and complete the transfer, you can always delete it and add your other normal bank account again.
Note: If you find this tedious and don’t want to delete your bank account, you can use option 1- linking with your Cash App Card as Apple Pay allows you to link up to 8 cards at a time. Though you have to pay instant transfer fees for transfer to a card, the transfer is faster.
Step 4- Next, enter the routing number and account number associated with your Cash App Account
In this step, you need to add the routing number and account number of your Cash App Account.
To get these details, open your Cash App on mobile, next just tap on the $ bank icon on the home screen bottom menu and you will be displayed both your routing number and account number. You also get an option to copy these details.
Use this option to input the respective details in Apple Pay. Now, tap on next on the top right. Again, you will be asked to enter this information to confirm the details, so that there are no errors.
Once this is done, Apple Pay will display the name of the bank associated with your Cash App on the next screen which will be either “Lincoln Bank” or “Sutton Bank”. You don’t need to worry about this, since both these banks are compatible with Apple Pay and the information is fetched automatically based on the routing number and account number.
Now just tap on the back (top left)
Step 5- On next screen, tap on “Transfer to Bank”
Now, you can tap on the “Transfer to Bank” option to trigger the transfer process from Apple Pay to Cash App Account.
Step 6- Enter the amount you want to transfer to Cash App and then tap on “Next”
Now, enter the amount you want to transfer.
Step 7- Next, tap on “Standard Transfer”
On the next screen, select the “Standard Transfer” option which is the option to transfer money to bank accounts. There are no transfer fees involved here, but it does take 1-3 business days to complete the transfer
Step 8- On next screen, make sure if shows your “Cash App Account” in the “To” field.
On the next screen, you will be shown the transfer details which will show the following information”
- Your “Apple Cash” Account in the From Field
- Your target Cash App “Bank Account” Name -(Lincoln or Sutton Bank) in the To field.
- Transfer Amount
Step 9-Initiate the transfer with your touch id or pass code (as the case maybe)
If all the details look correct, go ahead and complete the transfer using your touch id, face id, or passcode. Once done, you should be able to see transactions under the “Transactions” tab on Apple Pay.
It will take 1-3 business days for the amount to be actually credited to your Cash App account.
How Long Does it Take to Transfer Money from Apple Pay to Cash App
Transfer time from Apple Pay to Cash App can happen instantly i.e. within 30 minutes if you transfer money to a Cash App card, using the Instant transfer option. On the other hand, if you use the option to transfer money from Apple Pay to Cash Account using the Standard Transfer option i.e. using Cash App routing number and account number, the transfer will take 1-3 business days.
Transfer Money from Apple Pay to Cash App-Limits
You can send up to $10,000 per transaction from Apple Pay to Cash App, considering Apple Pay Limits.
So that’s it- it is that simple to link up Cash App with Apple Pay and transfer money from Apple Pay to Cash App conveniently. You can transfer instantly with fees as well as for doing a standard transfer without any fees if you can wait for some time. You can also check our guide on how to transfer money from Cash App to Apple Pay.