Chime and Cash App are two really popular apps with millennials. But do you know there is a way to make these two great apps work together. It is indeed possible to move your funds between your Chime and Cash App account. In this post, we will see all the steps to link your Cash App account to Chime account and transfer funds from Chime to Cash App account and vice versa.
Chime being an online only bank has mobile app comes packed with a bundle of features and services like direct deposit, mobile cheque deposit etc.
On the other hand, Cash app with its ever expanding array of services (including option for investing in bitcoins now) and popular Boost offers makes it a preferred way to pay and manage your money.
However, you should know that the Cash App is a money management app that gives you some benefits akin to a bank, like a debit card and ability to send funds and make payments. While Chime is actually a bank without any physical branches that uses technology to offer the most of banking services. So actually they are not competitors and can be compatible.
It also means that the money that sits in your Chime App account is FDIC insured and you also earn interest on these funds. While Cash App does not offer the same FDIC insurance or an opportunity to earn any interest on the balance you hold in Cash App.
Another great benefit for even non-tech savvy people is the ability to deposit cash in your Chime Account by physically walking in at network of retail locations (more than 90,000) including 7-Eleven, Walmart, Speedway etc. subject to fees. Or even withdraw funds at ATMs
That is why you see that Cash App offers you a way to link or add your bank account or debit card to your Cash App account. This way you can transfer funds to Cash App when needed from your bank account or even cash out your existing Cash App funds to a linked bank account.
And among the many banks that you can add or link to Cash App account is also the Chime bank. So this is the method we can use to connect your Chime and Cash app and transfer funds from your Chime account to Cash App and vice versa i.e. from Cash App to Chime Account.
Chime app obviously being a mobile banking app offers – you to link only bank accounts and does not provide an option to connect to Cash App.
Cash App allows you to link your account to a bank account or debit card through verification process. If you have a Chime Bank account or Chime Card, you can always link this to your Cash App by adding either the Chime bank account or Chime debit card number to your Cash App.
Does Chime Work with Cash App? How to Link Chime Account to Cash App?
The preferred way I will suggest to link your Chime bank account to Cash App, is to add a Chime Debit Card to Cash App. That way, you can immediately transfer funds from Chime to Cash app or vice versa- using the instant transfer option from bank account (which works only on debit card).
Although you are required to pay fees @1.5% in Cash App for instant transfer, but then again it is INSTANT.
An important point to note in Cash App is that it allows you to link only one bank account and one debit card at any point of time.
So if you have already linked an existing bank debit card to your Cash App, you still have the option to replace debit card with your Chime one.
Alternatively, if you have linked existing bank account using online credentials and not via your Bank debit card, you can just add your Chime Debit Card to Cash app.
Steps to Link Chime Debit Card to Cash App
To link a bank account using Debit Card details:
- Open Cash App and on home screen, then tap on the Bank icon on the bottom left
- You will be shown your current Cash App Balance. Below this, you can tap on the option “Link Bank” or “Add Bank”
(If you have already added a bank or card, you will get the option “Linked Accounts” instead. Tap on this and select “Link Debit Card” on next screen. In case you already have an existing debit card linked, just tap on debit card no. to get an option on next screen to replace it with another bank debit card)
- Next you will be shown an option to “Add a Bank Account with your debit card”.
- Enter the full Chime Bank debit card no.
- Next you will be asked to enter the CVV no, expiry date and ZIP associated with the card.
- Once you enter the details and continue, it should show you a confirmation that debit card has been linked
Steps to Add Chime Bank Account to Cash App [without debit card]
- From your Cash App home screen, tap on the Bank icon on the bottom left
- You will be shown your current Cash App Balance. Tap on the option “Link Bank” or “Add Bank” below this balance.
(If you have already added a bank or card, you will get the option “Linked Accounts” instead. Tap on this and select “Link Bank” on next screen. In case you have an active bank account linked, tap on active bank name to get an option to replace it with another bank )
- It will give you the option to add bank account with debit card. Since you don’t want to use your Bank debit card, you can tap on “No Card” option displayed on bottom left.
- On Next Screen, you will now see option to link bank account using your username and password. Click on “Continue” here
- Next select Chime bank from list of banks displayed
- Next it will ask you to enter your Chime bank account online credentials like user name and password and click on “Submit”
- Next you need to verify Bank Account by entering using 2 factor credential i.e. code sent to your mobile number by message
- Once you enter code and select continue, it will show you the Chime bank has been successfully linked
So you can conveniently link your Chime Bank Account to Cash App. The way I prefer is to link Chime Debit Card to Cash App which can be used for both pulling funds and cash out. This way you can enjoy the benefits of moving funds between these apps.
I am a blogger and on this website, I share helpful information mostly on products and services I personally use.