Cash App is a popular payments app by Block Inc. [previously called Square Inc.] that offers a direct deposit account and a prepaid card. If you are trying to link your Cash App Bank account with another service through Plaid, you might come across the question “What Bank Does Cash App Use for Plaid?“. This answer is not as straightforward as it seems. We will cover the complete details in this post.
Firstly, Cash App is a peer-to-peer payment app, not a bank. It offers a few banking services like a direct deposit account in association with its banking partners- Lincoln Savings Bank or Sutton Bank.
You can find the bank linked to your Cash App account –Cash App-> Tap on Bank Icon (1st icon) on the bottom menu-> Tap on Deposits & Transfer-> it will show the bank routing number and account number with the bank name for your Cash App account.
You can also get the Cash Card which is a prepaid card issued by Sutton Bank, Cash App’s banking partner.
But is that the bank name you can use to link a Cash App account via Plaid? Let’s explore:
What Bank Does Cash App Use for Plaid? What Bank is Cash App on Plaid
While Cash App direct deposit account is offered by Lincoln Saving Bank or Sutton Bank, you cannot link this Bank Account using Plaid, as Cash App does not provide any online banking credentials. However, you can manually link the Cash App Bank account using the account number and routing number details or link the Cash Card to connect to another service.
In a nutshell, you cannot connect your Cash App Bank account using Plaid with another app.
Plaid requires you to link a full-fledged bank account using your online banking credentials like username and password.
In the case of Cash App, even though you are using the Lincoln Savings or Sutton Bank account for direct deposit, you are not a customer of the bank. There is no online banking username or password associated with this account.
You may think of using Cash App login credentials. But that will not work, since they are not your bank account credentials.
Most services where you have to link a bank account also offer an option to link your bank account manually. In case this option is not available, it is better you link a traditional bank account or online-only bank account like Chime which offers integration through Plaid, and can also be linked with your Cash App account.
How to Find Cash App on Plaid
You may not be able to find Cash App on Plaid and cannot use a bank name either as Cash App does not come with a bank account username and password which is required for Plaid Verification.
Cash App banking partners are Lincoln Savings and Sutton Bank. But there are no online banking credentials that you get with a Cash App account.
So the best option is to link your Cash App account manually. Let’s see the steps to do this.
How to Link your Cash App Account Manually [without Plaid]
- Most services that allow you to add bank use Plaid also allow you to link bank accounts manually. This is to allow scenarios where you are not able to find your bank or your bank does not support Plaid. So this is the option you have to use to add your Cash App account. In case you don’t find this option, you can connect with the customer support team of the service or google on how to add the bank account manually for such a service.
- If you get the option to add a bank account manually, you will be asked to enter the details of the Cash App account number and routing number To find your Cash App direct deposit account and routing number:
- Open Cash App and log in
- Next tap on the Banking tab (bank icon) on the bottom menu
- Next tap the routing and account number below your balance
- Use the options to copy your account and routing numbers
3. There will be a test transfer done to verify you own the Cash App Account. The process varies from app to app, depending upon which service you want to link the bank account to. Make sure you have the balance in the Cash App for the test transfers to go through.
The process to link your Cash App account manually is also not immediate and may take a few days depending on which app you are using.
Can you add a bank account to Cash App with Plaid?
If you are looking to add or link your bank account to Cash App via Plaid, that is possible. Cash App supports linking external bank accounts on its app with the Plaid service. You even have the option to add a bank account to Cash App manually bypassing Plaid (which is concealed).
You can follow the steps below to add a bank account to Cash App via Plaid:
- Open Cash App and log in
- Tap on Profile Icon on the top right corner of the Cash App home page
- Next, tap on Linked Banks– If you already have an existing bank account, you can remove the same as Cash App supports only one bank at a time
- Next, type your bank name in the search bar or select your bank from the list
- You will be shown the Plaid notification and prompted to enter your bank account credentials- username and password to verify yourself as the owner of the bank account
So while Cash App does offer a bank account, it is not a full-fledged bank account that comes with online banking credentials. However, if a service allows you to link your bank account manually, you can use the account number and routing number on Cash App to link your bank account. If you don’t find the option to link manually, you will have to use an alternate bank which could be an online-only bank like Chime, Varo, etc., or any other traditional bank.