Cash App is a popular payments app by Block Inc. [previously called Square Inc.] that offers a direct deposit account and a prepaid card. If you are trying to link your Cash App Bank account with another service through Plaid, you might come across the question “What Bank Does Cash App Use for Plaid?“. This answer is not as straightforward as it seems. We will cover the complete details in this post.
Firstly, Cash App is a fintech that offers services in partnership with banks. Cash App offers direct deposit account in partnership with either Lincoln Savings Bank or Sutton Bank. You can find the bank linked to your deposit account by opening Cash App-> Tap on Bank Icon (1st icon) on bottom menu-> Tap on Deposits & Transfer-> it will show the bank Routing number and account number associated with your Cash App account along with the bank name (if the bank name is not mentioned, just google on your routing number to find your Bank name)
Cash App also offers the Cash Card, in partnership with the banks (mostly Sutton Bank). So the default assumption is it will be either of these banks that you can use to link with Plaid.
But with Plaid, you can link your bank account (not the card) by using online banking credentials like user name and password, associated with this account.
But will that work?
No, in the case of Cash App, even though you are using the Lincoln Savings or Sutton Bank account for direct deposit, there is no online banking user name and password associated with this account. You may be thinking that you can use Cash App login credentials. But that will not work, since they are not your bank account credentials.
So actually, you cannot use Plaid for linking your Cash App account in the first place. The only way to link your Cash App account to another service is to do this manually without using Plaid- by entering the account number and routing number associated with your Cash App account.
Most services where you have to link a bank account also offer an option to link your bank account manually. In case this option is not available, it is better you link a traditional bank account or online-only bank account like Chime which offers integration through Plaid, and can also be linked with your Cash App account.
What Bank Does Cash App Use for Plaid? You cannot connect your Cash App Bank account using Plaid. You will have to add the Cash App bank account manually by using the account number and routing number associated with your Cash App Account.
So how to link your Cash App account to another service, you can do this by manual verification. You can jump to this section on the steps to do this
What Bank Does Cash App Use for Plaid
While Cash App direct deposit account is offered by Lincoln Saving Bank or Sutton Bank, you cannot link this Bank Account using Plaid, as Cash App does not provide any online banking credentials. You can manually link your Cash App Bank account using the account number and routing number to connect to another service.
How to Find Cash App on Plaid
You will not be able to find Cash App on Plaid, since Cash App does not come with a bank account username and password which is required for Plaid Verification.
You can only link your Cash App bank account i.e. Lincoln Saving Bank or Sutton Bank account (as the case) manually by getting the details of Cash App routing and account number.
How to Link your Cash App Account Manually [without Plaid]
- Most services which allow you to add bank use Plaid also allow you to link bank account manually. This is to allow scenarios where you are not able to find your bank or your bank does not support Plaid. So this is the option you have to use to add your Cash App account. In case you don’t find this option, you can connect with the customer support team of the service or google on how to add the bank account manually for such service.
- If you get the option to add bank account manually, you will be asked to enter the details of Cash App account number and routing number To find your Cash App direct deposit account and routing number:
- Open Cash App and log in
- Next tap on the Banking tab (bank icon) on the bottom menu
- Next tap the routing and account number below your balance
- Use the options to copy your account and routing numbers
3. There will be a test transfer done to verify you own the Cash App Account. The process varies from app to app, depending upon which service you want to link the bank account to. Make sure you have the balance in the Cash App for the test transfers to go through.
The process to link your Cash App account manually is also not immediate and may take a few days depending on which app you are using.
So while Cash App does offer a bank account, it is not a full-fledged bank account that comes with online banking credentials. However, if a service allows you to link your bank account manually, you can use the account number and routing number on Cash App to link your bank account. If you don’t find the option to link manually, you will have to use an alternate bank which could be an online-only bank like Chime, Varo, etc., or any other traditional bank.