Zelle is a great app that makes bank to bank transfers convenient and fast. If you are looking for an easy guide on how to receive money on Zelle you are on the right post. The guide will walk you through the steps on receiving money on Zelle using any of the major banks like Chase Bank, Bank of America, Td bank, Wells Fargo etc. .
Using Zelle, the transfer usually takes place in a matter of minutes. This makes it preferred choice for moving your funds fast. But take care to use Zelle only to send and receive money from people you trust, as the transfer is non-reversible.
Zelle can be used to send, receive or split money.
Avoid using Zelle for sending or receiving money from strangers. There are chances of loss of money by way of scams or erroneous transfer otherwise.
Zelle is supported by large number of banks. Most banks including Chase Bank, TD, Bank of Amercia, Capital One, Wells Fargo etc. allow Zelle as payment option integrated within their mobile banking apps to make the process easier.
How to receive money on Zelle [through Chase and other banks]
In order to receive money through Zelle, both parties i.e. sender and recipient need to be enrolled in Zelle .
If you have already enrolled in Zelle at the time sender transferred the money, you don’t need to take any action to receive money and money will automatically move to your account in minutes (make sure the sender has used the correct email id or mobile number as linked to your Zelle account).
On the other hand, if you have NOT yet enrolled in Zelle when sender transferred the money, you will need to complete the enrollment first. You would usually get a link to register along with the payment notification in such cases.
A better practice to avoid such situations is ask sender to hold the money transfer till you have completed the registration in Zelle, with the preferable email id or mobile number.
Also, after registration on Zelle, you even have an option to request money through Zelle rather than depend on the sender to correctly key in your email id and mobile number.
And you don’t even need to install Zelle App to receive money from Zelle. You can user your Bank’s mobile app itself which has built in option to enroll and send and receive money via Zelle.
In fact, Zelle is moving towards a model where you can use their services only via your respective bank’s mobile app or website, if the bank supports Zelle.
You need to install Zelle App ONLY if your bank does not provide Zelle option within their mobile banking app.
You can check the full list of banks supporting Zelle here.
Receiving Money via Zelle
Now on receiving money, there can be 3 scenarios:
Scenario 1: One is someone has already sent money to you via Zelle using your phone no. or email and you have NOT yet registered on Zelle.
Scenario 2: Or, it could be case where you are already enrolled in Zelle app, but yet not received it. You may want to confirm and check if you have received it.
Scenario 3: The last scenario is where someone has not sent the money and you are actually looking to request money money from someone using Zelle App.
This can be easier and convenient for both sides as it saves the sender the trouble to type in your correct email or mobile number correctly.
In order to receive money through Zelle, both parties i.e. sender and recipient need to be enrolled in Zelle via through their respective mobile banking apps or Zelle itself.
A person sending money via Zelle is just required to enter your Name, mobile number or email id to send the payment. Make sure you have confirmed the right mobile number and email id to the sender to avoid difficulties in receiving money.
Scenario 1: How to Receive Money if you have already enrolled with Zelle
If you have already enrolled with Zelle, you do not need to take any further action and money will move directly into your bank account associated with Zelle profile, usually within minutes.
Now in the rare case that you have not received the money, make sure the sender has used the same mobile number or email that has been linked with your Zelle account.
Sometimes the transfer could also be held up by the banks involved in the transfer due to security reviews, service issues or Zelle service down. These instances are are rare though.
Again, you should receive money via Zelle only from friends or persons you know and trust. Avoid using it to receive funds from any strangers as there are number of scams that have been done on this.
Scenario 2: How to Receive Money if you have not yet enrolled in Zelle
Whenever anyone sends money to you on Zelle, you will receive a notification on email or message on mobile number confirming the amount and the sender.
However, if you (as a recipient) are not enrolled in Zelle at the time of transfer, you are provided a link to register or enroll on Zelle along with the notification to receive the money.
The sender also gets notified in such cases where the recipient is NOT registered on Zelle, with a message that Zelle has sent the instructions to the person on how to register and receive the payment.
If you have received the money from known person via Zelle and not yet enrolled your Zelle profile, do follow the steps below to receive the money:
- Click on the link provided in the payment notification received via email or SMS
- Download and install the Zelle app in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store (if you haven’t already), and click “Get started.”
- Enter your US mobile number or email on which money in sent and select “Continue.”
- Check the box regarding your data and privacy, then tap “Continue“
- On the “Find Your Bank” screen, search for your bank. If your bank is listed, you’ll be redirected to complete the transfer on your bank’s website.
- Follow the instructions provided on the page to enroll and receive your payment
- To enroll with the Zelle app, enter your basic contact information, an email address and U.S. mobile number, and a Visa or Mastercard debit card with a U.S. based account.
Steps to complete enrollment in Zelle via Chase App
- Sign in to your Chase App and tap the “Pay & transfer” option on home screen
- Next, select “Send money with Zelle” from the list of options
- Next, tap “Get Started” and continue with the steps and accept the required terms and conditions if agreeable
- Select the account (if you have multiple bank accounts) which you want to link to Zelle to which money will be credited
- Enter a US mobile number and email address which will be used to link to Zelle (if someone has already sent you the money on the mobile number or email, make sure to use the same details)
Scenario 3: How to request money via Zelle
If you have already enrolled on Zelle , you can even directly request the money from the sender. This can sometimes be more preferable as you don’t have to depend on the sender typing in details like your mobile number or email, amount etc. accurately
Let’s look at the steps to do this using Chase mobile banking app”
- Open the Chase Mobile banking app and tap on 3 horizontal lines (hamburger like icon) on top left to open the menu
- Next tap on the option “Send Money with Zelle”
- Next tap on the option “Receive & Split Money”
- Select contact from whom money is to be requested. If the person is not enrolled in Zelle yet, you can usually enter only their email id
On Bank of America App, you will find the option under ” Transfer Zelle” on the App home screen and then send “Request”
On Wells Fargo App, you can find the option by clicking on 3 horizontal lines on the app home screen and then select “Send Money with Zelle” from list of options.