Chime, the popular online-only banking fintech, allows you to add and use your Chime Debit card to pay with in wallets like Apple Pay, Google Pay etc. This guide will walk you through the steps on how to use your Chime Card on Apple Pay. If you are facing issues like you are not able to add or Chime Card is not working on Apple Pay, this post will help you with the possible reasons and solutions.
The growing popularity of Apple Pay makes it a widely accepted payment method to pay for your daily expenses. Apple Pay has more than 44 million users in USA. It allows you to add or link debit cards and credit cards and bank accounts of most major banks in its wallets.
Although Chime is not a bank in itself, it offers banking services through its banking partners which can be “The Bancorp Bank” or “Stride Bank, N.A” and both these banks are in list of participating banks on Apple Pay.
Does Chime Work with Apple Pay? Yes, you can use Chime with Apple Pay by linking your Chime Debit Card or Chime Bank Account on Apple Pay.
If you have added a Chime Debit Card to Apple Pay, you can instantly transfer funds from your Apple wallet to Chime Card, though this is subject to a transfer fees of 1.5% (Minimum -0.25, Maximum fee-$15). For this, you need to enter your Card details like the number, expiry date etc. to link in Apple Pay (the steps are covered in detail below)
Alternatively, you can also add your Chime Bank Account directly to Apple Pay by entering the details of Chime routing number and account number in your Apple Pay. You can find your Chime routing and account information on the Chime App, go to Chime mobile app, next go to Settings (gear icon on the top left), scroll down to the “Account Information” section from the list of options. You will be able to find your Routing Number as well as your Account Number
However, when you have added a bank, you can only do a standard transfer ACH when you’re attempting to move your Apple Wallet funds to such Chime Bank Account, which takes 1-3 business days and is not instant like a debit card. However, the advantage here is this transfer is completely free.
How to Add Chime Card to Apple Pay Wallet
To add your Chime Card, follow the steps below:
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone
- Next tap the Add button on the right hand top corner
- Next select “Debit or Credit Card” and tap continue
- Follow the steps on the screen to enter the details of Chime Debit Card like expiration date, code etc.
- Verify your information with your bank or card issuer
How to transfer funds from Apple Pay to Chime Card [Instant Transfer]
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone
- Next tap on your Apple Cash card (which is one on the top with the apple icon)
- Tap the More icon (three dots on top right)
- Tap Transfer to Bank (on the right, below the card picture)
- Next type in the amount you want to transfer, then tap Next.
- Select Instant Transfer, and select the Chime Debit Card when prompted
You can also add your Chime Bank account on Apple Pay using the same steps, selecting bank account instead of debit or credit card. You need to enter the Chime Routing Number and Accounting number. But you will have to use the standard transfer option which takes 1-3 business days, whenever you are moving funds from your Apple Pay wallet to Chime bank account.
How to add Chime to Apple Pay without Card
You can add Chime to Apple Pay without the card by linking your Chime bank account, by entering the Chime account number and routing number.
To find your Chime account number and routing number, you can go to the Chime App Settings section (gear icon), scroll down and tap on “Account Information” which will show both the details.
Also Read: Does Venmo work with Apple Pay [Easy Guide]
Chime Apple Pay Limits
Chime has its own limits on card transactions, that will apply even when using with Apple Pay
- ATM / OTC withdrawals – not more than $500 per day
- Card Purchases- not more than $2,500 per day
There is no limit on the number of times you use your Chime Card.
As per Apple Pay norms, you might require to use PIN for any transaction over $50 in USA.
Apple Pay limits for adding money -Transfer from Chime debit card to Apple Pay
- Per transaction, you can add a minimum of $10.
- Per transaction, you can add up to $10,000.
- Within a 7-day period, you can add a maximum of $10,000.
Apple Pay limits for withdrawing money from Apple Pay to Chime Card
- You can transfer a minimum of $1 or your full balance if it’s under $1.
- You can transfer up to $10,000 in a single transfer.
- Within a 7-day period, you can transfer up to $20,000
Chime Card Apple Pay not working
If you are facing issues in adding your Chime Debit Card to Apple Pay like “Could Not Add Card. Try Again Later” error when Add a Card to Wallet, you can try the following ways to trouble-shoot the issue
- Check that you’re able to use Apple Pay with any other card to diagnose if the issue is only with Chime Card or relating to Apple Pay Settings
- If the issue seems to be of Chime Card:
- Check if card is NOT disabled or NOT activated on Chime App. You can check if the card is working outside of Apple Pay. Go to Settings, select the Card and toggle on “Allow transactions” if it is on off mode.
- Try removing the Chime Card from Apple Wallet and adding it back
- Raise the query to Chime Support team
- If the issue seems to be for Apple Pay,
- Check if you are using latest version of Apple iOS
- Make sure the region is correctly updated on your iPhone. The country or region showing in your iPhone should be one of the Apple Pay supported countries. For this, go to the Settings app (gear icon) on your iPhone, next go to “General”, select “Language & Region”. Tap on “Country/Region” and see if it is updated to US
- You can also try toggling off the Apple Cash and turning it on after 30 seconds. For this, go to “Settings” (gear icon), then select “Wallet & Apple Pay”, turn off “Apple Cash” toggle and turn it on again after waiting for 30 seconds.
- Another diagnosis you can try is sign out of iCloud and sign back in
You can also use Chime on Apple Watch. Also, you can use Chime Spot Me facility if it is activated on your Chime Debit Card even while making payment from Apple Pay. For this to work, transaction has to be entirely on Chime Card which you have added to Apple Pay.
Also Read: Verify and use Cash App with Apple Pay
You can use your Chime card with Apple Pay not only on the iPhone but also on Apple Watch. With the combination of chime card and Apple Pay, you can make payments in- store as well as online wherever Apple Pay is accepted, by pulling the funds from Chime Card,