Chime Spot Me is a fast growing overdraft feature available in the Chime App. This allows you to overdraw your account with a limit, ranging from $20 up to $200. If you are curious to know all the details on how to use Chime Spot Me, what are the Chime Spot Me rules involved, how does Chime Spot me work, how to use Chime Spot Me, does it allow ATM withdrawals and cash back, this guide is going to answer all these questions.
What is Chime Spot Me
Chime Spot Me is an optional feature that allows you to overdraw your account up to a set maximum amount called Spot Me Limit, with no overdraft fees. It works for purchases using your Chime Debit Card and also allows cash withdrawals at ATM and cash back transactions at retail locations. The overdrawn amount is adjusted from your next direct deposit automatically, without any charges.
This turns out to be a great option to meet expenses that hit you, between two pay cycles.
Especially with some traditional banks charging overdraft fees as high as $35, the Chime SpotMe can prove to be a much better option to rely on to cushion your expenses.
To be able to access to Chime Spot Me feature, there should be a single direct deposit of at least $200 or more in your Chime Account. The direct deposit must have been received in the preceding 34 days.
How Chime SpotMe Works
If you are an eligible Chime User, you first need to enroll in the Chime SpotMe service by going to the Settings Tab and sign-up by accepting the terms and conditions. You will be notified of your SpotMe limit which is the maximum amount you can overdraw.
Next time whenever you make a purchase with your Chime Debit Card that exceeds your balance, Chime will automatically spot you for the excess amount if it is within your Spot Me Limit. This overdrawn amount i.e. negative balance in your account will then be paid back from your next month’s deposit, without any fees to you.
E.g. Assume you have $20 in your Chime balance and $50 as your Spot Me Limit, if you swipe your Chime Debit Card for a transaction of $30, purchase will go through using the $10 your SpotMe Limit i.e. amount which is in excess of your Chime Balance, but is within the Spot Me Limit
You’ll receive a notification saying “Because your Spending Balance was low, SpotMe covered $10. Your new balance is –$10.”
If on the other hand, you are looking to pay for a transaction which was for a much higher amount that exceeds even your Spot Me Limit, it will be declined. E.g. if in the above example, you wanted to spend $100, this exceeds the total amount of. $90 [Chime Balance ($20)+ SpotMe limit ($70)]
In such cases, you also receive a message that your transaction was declined as your new balance would go lower than your Chime Spot Me Limit.
Chime Spot Me Rules
As per the Chime Website, Chime SpotMe only allows purchases using a Chime Debit Card. It also covers cash withdrawals at an ATM as well as cash back transactions. It does not cover payments to friends, ACH transfers (including direct debits and services like Venmo or Square Cash), or Chime Checkbook transactions.
|What is Covered||What is NOT covered|
|1. Purchases on Chime Debit Card|
2. ATM withdrawals
3. Cash-back transactions
|1. Payments to friends transfer|
2. Automatic bill payments using Direct Debit from Chime Spending Account
3. Transfers to other apps like Venmo and Cash App
4, Chime Checkbook transactions
Other Basic Requirements for Chime
- You must be 18 years of age or older to be eligible to use Chime Spot Me
- Must have Chime-managed demand deposit account in your name in good standing;
- Enrolling into Chime SpotMe does not require a check of your credit score
- You can overdraw an amount only for the eligible transactions to the extent of your Spot Me Limit
- Spot Me Limit can be increased or decreased by Chime based on your account activity
- To be able to access to Chime Spot Me feature, you need to have a minimum single direct deposit of at least $200 or more in your Chime Account. The direct deposit must have been received in the preceding 34 days.
- If you initially fulfilled the qualifying direct deposit requirement and subsequently fail to fulfill such deposits, Chime may terminate or suspend the access to Spot Me until you meet the criteria again
You can refer to the Chime website for more details on the complete terms and conditions of using Chime Spot Me.
How to Use Spot Me on Chime
- Tap on the Settings tab in your Chime app to find out if you’re eligible for the SpotMe feature (make sure you have the latest version of the app).
- Enroll into Chime Spot Me if you accept the SpotMe Terms and Conditions
- Use your Chime Debit Card for a transaction which exceeds your balance but it is within your Chime Spot Me Limit
- Transaction will be accepted and you will get a notification that Chime covered the transaction through Spot Me and your account will show a negative balance
- Your negative balance will be automatically adjusted against your next deposit without any fees to you
Where Does Chime Spot Me Work
Chime Spot Me can be used for most purchases or transactions using a Chime Debit Card. Do note that the transaction amount should be within your Chime Spot Me Limit to be cleared.
You can use Chime Spot Me for:
- Purchases using Chime Debit Card at physical outlets like restaurants, fast food outlets like McDonalds etc., grocery purchases. gas stations
- For cash withdrawals at ATM
- For rides at Uber using Chime Debit Card as a payment method
- Online for purchases with your Chime Debit Card
- For Cash Back option at grocery centers like Walmart, Dollar General etc.
Does Chime Spot Me work for Online purchases
Yes, Chime Spot Me also covers online purchases you make using your Chime Debit Card. However, it does not work for automatic bill payments or subscriptions which you have set on your debit card.
Does Chime Spot Me Cover ATM withdrawals
Yes, Chime Spot Me also allows you to withdraw cash at ATM.
You can check our post for details on how to use Chime Spot Me at ATM.
In fact, there are also ways to use Chime Spot Me without a card. for e.g.- you can also add your Chime Debit Card to Apple Pay and still be able to use Chime Spot Me.
Chime Spot Me Limit | How to Change Spot Me Limit (Increase / Decrease)
Spot Me Limit is the maximum amount you can overdraw which ranges from $20 upto $200. The limit is automatically determined by Chime and notified to you. This cannot be increased at your end.
You can refer to this post on how to increase Chime SpotMe Limit, to explore some ways based on your activity and usage.
You can however set a personal maximum limit which is LOWER than your Chime Spot Me Limit for your own financial discipline. To do this:
To set lower Spot Me Limit- Open your Chime app > Open Chime Spot Me section (under settings or from your home screen)> Tap on pencil icon next to your existing Spot Me limit to edit -> Enter a personal Max > confirm your limit
In the beginning, Chime may assign you a very small Spot Me limit in the range of $20 to $50. Then from there, depending upon your usage and deposits trends, Chime will notify you if there is any increase or decrease in your Chime Spot Me Limit.
Chime gives some guidance and hints on what factors will impact your Spot Me Limit. As per Chime “SpotMe limits are set automatically by a variety of factors related to how you use your Chime account. This may include how long you’ve been a member, your account history and how much you direct deposit per month. As these factors evolve over time, your SpotMe limit can change as well.”
You can also get your friends to help you out by having them send you Chime Spot Me Boosts, that temporarily raise your Spot Me Limit by $5 per boost (you can get maximum 4 boosts per month).
So in simple words, Spot Me limit is auto-determined by Chime, using an algorithm. The more data it has from your Chime Usage, the more factors it can consider. It can take into account data points like your deposit history, average daily balances, your current Spot Me usage and other data from your Chime usage etc.
Chime Spot Me Not Working Issue
If you ever run into situations, where your Chime Spot Me is not working, you can check our post on reasons why Chime Spot Me is not working along with potential solutions.
Overall, Chime Spot Me is a great product that has your back when you are short of cash for essential expenses. It saves you from being a victim of exorbitant overdraft fees from traditional banks. If you are looking for other spot me apps that work with Chime, check our post which has the complete list with all the details.