Chime being an online only bank is one of the preferred banking options for tech savvy millennials. If you have a Chime account and looking to deposit a check with Chime, this guide will walk you through the easy steps to do this.
The traditional way to deposit checks requires you physically submit them at the bank branch which could mean waiting in cues. Or it can involve sending the check by mail which is again a time consuming option.
However, Chime offers the convenience of mobile check deposit as digital way to get your checks deposited from the comfort of your home.
How to deposit a check with Chime? You can deposit a check with Chime by using Mobile Check Deposit Option on Chime App by snapping a photo of check. Open the Chime app and tap on “Move Money” (at the bottom) which gives you option to do a Mobile Check Deposit under “Add Funds” section.
Let’s look at the steps involved in depositing the check with Chime
How to Deposit Check with Chime [Steps]
- Open your Chime Mobile App
- Next tap on the option “Move Money” at the bottom
- Next tap on “Add Funds”
- Next select the option “Mobile Check Deposit” (camera icon) from the choices available
- Next select the account type in which you are depositing the check (checking or savings)
- Next you will be asked to enter the check amount
- Sign at the back of your paper check and write “For deposit only” under your signature (Some may prefer to write “For deposit in Chime Only” but it can be a problem later if for some reason the check does not get accepted at Chime and you choose to deposit at another bank)
- Using your mobile camera, you now need to take a photo of the check both the front and back portion. Make sure the picture is clear on both sides to avoid chances of rejection. Clear your camera lens if picture is coming out fuzzy or blurry. Also, make sure there is good lighting so your camera can pick up details on your check. Even the details at back of check should be readable.
- Review the deposit details like the amount, account number etc. once the images are recorded
- Confirm the deposit
Some important points to note
- Once Check deposit is submitted, it shows up under your pending transactions. Once it goes into pending, it usually takes a few hours for Chime to accept or reject the check
- Check accepted usually takes 24 hours to reflect in your account balance. So usually it will reflect on next business day unless its a weekend day
- Usually there is a limit on the check deposit up to maximum amount $2000 check and a max of 10 checks per month.
- In some instances, checks can be rejected due to the problems with verifying the check details or payer info. If it isn’t reflected on your account after 24 hours, you can call on the Chime hotline.
How to Mobile Deposit Stimulus Checks with Chime
There is a separate tab in the Chime App for stimulus check deposit for convenience and faster payout. Do note that Stimulus Check Mobile Deposit facility is available if you are active on Chime Spending Account and Chime Visa Debit Card
Open the Chime app, tap Move Money at the bottom of your screen, then tap Mobile Check Deposit, then U.S. Treasury.
If you have received a government stimulus payment in form of a paper check, do keep in mind the following precautions for successful deposit-
1.The name on the check should match your name on your Chime Spending Account
2. For joint stimulus checks, at least one filer’s name should match the name associated with the Chime Account- failing which it may not be accepted
3. You are usually required to sign the back of your paper check and write “For deposit to Chime only” below the signature.
For joint stimulus check, both signatures are required on the back of the check.
Not seeing the mobile check Deposit Option
Mobile check deposit function is auto-enabled by Chime. But for this, you should have received a minimum of $200 Payroll direct deposit. The mobile check deposit function is activated on your app within 30 days of such direct deposit.
If for any reason you don’t see the mobile check deposit function enabled on your Chime App, its probably because there has been no direct deposit in your account.
So you can conveniently deposit your check with Chime using the mobile deposit option by few clicks of button. Make sure to take clear images of checks and verify the details before submitting to avoid possibility of rejections. Also, consider the time of at least 24 hours to get the funds in your account.
I am a blogger and on this website, I share helpful information mostly on products and services I personally use.